I HAD to try a juice cleanse.. can you blame me? They’re all over the place! I was compelled to try Pressed Juicery after seeing a woman in my gym drinking it and always seeing their adorably packaged juices all over instagram. I started to do my research on yelp and google reviews and of course, instagram. I tried to get an idea of their most popular juices since they offer custom sample packs where you get to choose 6 different juices from all different categories. I finally decided on these six juices.
From left to right,
Greens 3, Roots 2, Citrus 2, Vanilla Coffee, Naval Orange, Brazil Nut
I put my order in (with a 10% off discount via email!) and it rang up (including $20 shipping) to $58. That is NOT bad for 6 juices being shipped over from Cali! If you calculate it, that comes to about $9.66 per juice and that’s honestly not as steep as most others I was considering.
To prepare for my cleanse, I decided to try to detox the night before. I probably should have been doing this the whole day prior but things happen! I ordered the juices on Tuesday and received them Thursday morning with overnight shipping. Wednesday night I sat in the steam room for 20 minutes to detox. I slathered some coconut oil onto my hair and rinsed off after in the shower with my favorite DIY coffee exfoliator. I really wanted to begin the cleanse as “clean” as possible by using all natural products on my body since I was about to be putting solely natural products IN my body!
I began the cleanse at about 10am on Friday morning (I had off so I got to wake up 4.5 hours later than usual)!
1. My first juice was the seasonal Naval Orange juice. Here’s what I have to say about it:
- Ingredients: Naval Orange, Turmeric, Fuji Apple, Lemon
- This juice was ery smooth and tangy. Tasted like carrot juice to me more than anything! Over time it got sweeter to me even though I shook it up before every sip. It was the only juice I finished completely
2. Like I said above, the naval orange juice was the ONLY juice I finished completely. I didn’t realize how hard it was for me to drink 96oz of juice in one day. My second juice was the Vanilla Coffee.
- Ingredients: Coffee, Almonds, Dates, Vanilla Bean
- This drink had a super nutty flavor (as it was almond based) and was a lot more grainy, somewhat chalky, and thicker than the juices. Should be noted that this isn’t an actual juice but rather a coffee flavored beverage. I finished 3/4 of this drink but the chalky texture was throwing me off a bit.
3. My third juice was the Roots 2 juice.
- Ingredients: Apple, Carrot, Ginger, Kale, Parsley, Romaine, Spinach
- First let me say this was Hellah’s favorite of them all. Again, this was very carrot-y to me and I have to say I’m not really that into drinking carrots! I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it. I only finished about half of the bottle of this one.
4. The fourth juice was the Greens 3 juice.
- Ingredients: Kale, Spinach, Romaine, Parsley, Cucumber, Celery, Apple, Lemon, Ginger
- I heard GREAT things about this juice and was super excited to try it. It wasn’t bad! It also wasn’t the best green juice I’ve had. I do think the green juice on Just A Taste is better, though. I brought this one to the gym with me so I would HAVE to drink (at this point of the day I was DONE with drinking.. seriously, over it). Unfortunately my plan didn’t really work because I was being more careful with my workout since I wasn’t sure how my body would handle intense cardio. I drank about 1/3 of this one.
5. The fifth juice: Citrus 2
- Ingredients: Pineapple, Apple, Lemon, Mint
- I was really expecting a super sweet and tangy juice and my first sip destroyed my hopes. I seriously felt like I had just brushed my teeth and took a swig of apple juice to rinse out- NO THANK YOU! I couldn’t handle the two extremes of apple and mint so sadly this was my least favorite. Honestly, I think I may have liked it with cilantro rather than mint, and would’ve loved it if the mint was omitted completely.
6. Last but not least, Brazil Nut
- Ingredients: Brazil Nut, Dates, Kale, Romaine, Sea Salt, Spinach, Vanilla Bean
- I saved what I thought was going to be best for last. I heard even better things about this drink than the greens 3 juice so I was soooo excited to end the cleanse on this one. I’ve never had brazil nut before but I figured I should just go for it! First sip thoughts: EW. Ok let me explain, my first sip was a mouthful of what felt like clumps of coconut oil or something. I was kind of grossed out and didn’t think that was what it should taste like. Instead of saying pass, I decided to try straining it and trying it again after. So after putting it through a strainer and collecting about a tablespoon of- I don’t know what?- I decided to try it again. It was just OK for me.. nothing special and very thick. I decided I’m not too into the thick juices and would rather have a smoothie if I’m going to drink something that thick. The flavor reminded me so much of something I’ve tasted before but I couldn’t quite but my finger on it. My mom suggested macadamia nuts but I didn’t think that was it. I had about 1/4 of this juice before I decided I had to stop.
In all, it was an interesting experience to say the least. I had enough left over to do a second day but decided instead to do a half day (since it was Valentine’s Day and we were eatin’ Chinese). If I were to order juice again from Pressed Juicery, I wouldn’t order more than 6 because now I realize how hard it is to make yourself drink that much in one day when you’re definitely not used to it. I was actually very surprised that I wasn’t tired or hungry at all on friday which I thought was great! I was also surprised that I actually went through a whole day with not physically chewing anything – proud! If there was a Pressed Juicery closer to me or in NYC I would probably try out other juices but I don’t think I would do another cleanse.
Post cleanse thoughts:
- I’m not a big drinker
- I’ve eaten a lot less the past night, morning, and afternoon (and am not as hungry)
- I have about the same energy level
- I did feel lighter and more positive for some odd (mental) reason, and I liked that!
- Other than the Chinese food last night, I think this was a really good start up to eating a healthier and more wholesome diet in the future
- I would like to try the fruits juices that Pressed Juicery has (and wish I ordered one)
- Now that I’m looking at the menu, maybe I will order another sample pack but with more basic juices
- I like to eat
I hope you enjoyed my review! Let me know what Pressed Juicery juices were your favorite, or if you’re thinking of doing a cleanse yourself!